Moovweb XDN is a serverless platform which combines an application-aware CDN with various speed-oriented web technologies. The acronym stands for "eXperience Delivery Network" and. Rather than only hosting your static content like a traditional CDN, the infrastructure lets you maximize your cache hit ratios for dynamic content at the edge. Moovweb XDN also provides a few other technologies which further improve the performance of your website, and simplify the entire process of developing, deploying, monitoring, experimenting on and defending large-scale dynamic websites. Let’s now have a look at how XDN compares against a traditional CDN.
What is a Content Delivery Network (CDN)?
The importance of content delivery networks cannot be overestimated—without them, websites would be dramatically slow as each user’s browser would inefficiently download content from a server all the way across the globe. This is why today’s internet uses distributed CDNs as the backbone for a better, faster browsing experience. Some CDNs can also route traffic, mitigate DDoS attacks, and consistently ensure website uptime.
Points of presence (PoPs) with edge servers are the key components of the CDN architecture which significantly reduce the distance information needs to travel to the user and thus significantly cutting load times. A point of presence is a single geographical location where a group of CDN edge servers reside. The total number of PoPs that make up a CDN’s network as well as each independent location has influence on the coverage of the CDN.
Some people may regularly use a CDN but not even know it. Most of today’s Web is served through points of presence, including traffic from major sites like Amazon, Facebook and Netflix.
The problem with traditional CDNs
CNDs provide high availability and performance by distributing the service spatially relative to end users. However, the problem with traditional CDNs is that they were originally designed with static websites in mind. They were intended to serve assets that rarely change, such as images and text. But the internet has changed and modern websites—especially eCommerce stores—are now more interactive, dynamic and database-driven. In fact, they now share more affinity with applications than HTML-based websites of yesterday.
Customers visiting eCommerce sites are waiting for the JSON data which makes up the specific size, color, and price of the product they are interested in—but, quite ironically, this data isn’t cached by traditional CDNs, as they are not geared toward dealing with dynamic data.
The easiest way to improve an eCommerce website’s experience is to increase the speed in which product details are delivered.
CDNs and eCommerce
A traditional CDN on its own won’t make an eCommerce website sub-second. Especially not a modern, database-driven, dynamic one that consists of thousands of pages and has dozens of tags, customization, real-time inventory lookups and more.
Mobile networks are getting faster and faster, but yet mobile website speeds haven’t gotten any better. This happens even though almost every major eCommerce site today is using a CDN. Traditional CDNs are only good at caching static files, not JSON data. eCommerce websites with traditional CDNs still make their customers wait for product data that needs to be pulled from a remote database before the browser can render the page on the screen.
XDN and eCommerce
Moovweb XDN was built for large scale dynamic websites, such as eCommerce and Travel sites. The XDN is much more than a modern application-aware CDN. It includes a CDN, but also comes with a combination of other advanced web technologies that get websites down to sub-second speeds.
- Edge traffic router enables traffic splitting at the edge and A/B tests that do not slow down the site. The module also enables iterative migration, canary deploys and feature flags.
- Branch previews boost developmental velocity by automatically creating full-stack preview URLs for every branch of your code. 1-click rollbacks, custom domains, and live logs are also supported.
- Performance monitor provides you with actionable insight into your cache hit rates and RUM speeds by route, along with conversion rate and smoke test alerts.
The XDN already powers some of the fastest online stores out there: 1-800-Flowers, Shoe Carnival and AKIRA are just a few examples. In fact, 1 out of 3 US shoppers visits a site on the XDN every month.
Dump your existing CDN—or not!
Schedule a consultative conversation now to learn how the Moovweb XDN can help you achieve sub-second page loads.
The other benefits of the Moovweb XDN
- Serverless Node.js Don’t manage servers, handle huge traffic spikes with no effort with a serverless platform.
- Synthetic API technology Sometimes your eCommerce platform or custom system may not have full API coverage. Why wait months to offer your shoppers an instant experience? With the XDN, you can easily create synthetic APIs off of HTML.
XDN gives you full control over your traffic routing, conclusive tests, and sub-second stats.
- Route traffic to any live branch Every branch of code you create is equal on the Moovweb XDN, and can receive some or all of the traffic for a given domain. The XDN Console makes it easy to adjust routing rules, deploy changes, and roll back if there is a problem.
- Route traffic based on any header value, or by probabilities Traffic can be routed by probabilities (e.g., a simple 50/50 split) or based on sophisticated rules based on any header or cookie value (e.g., showing first-time visitors a different experience than repeat visitors).
- Run real A/B tests Moovweb XDN lets you implement real A/B tests which do not impact your website speeds. Most A/B testing tools slow down your website and skew your results. This problem is reminiscent of Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, which says the more precisely the position of a particle is determined, the less precisely its momentum can be predicted from initial conditions, and vice versa. By analogy, when testing your site, you may never be sure if testing failed—or actually succeeded, but your customers were frustrated by the slower page loads caused by your tests, which you had no control over.With the Moovweb XDN you can avoid such dilemmas. Your testing will not involve compromising on page speed as all new experiences are delivered at the edge at identical speeds as the original experience. This allows you to run numerous A/B tests, feature flags, canary deploys and other variations of the site without slightest concerns about negatively impacting your site’s speed.
XDN enables unlimited, automated, fullstack pre-production environments for your app. Every feature branch automatically generates a complete environment: edge, server, and browser.
- Automatic preview URLs for every feature branch Every feature branch automatically generates a URL where product/project managers, QA, and others can provide feedback in real-time, cutting feedback loops to a minimum and avoiding wasted work.
- World's only automatic fullstack pre-production environments Your browser code, edge code and server code are deployed to an environment identical to your production stack. You will never have to call your CDN support team to debug your site when it’s down again.
- CI and CD on steroids Moovweb’s Branch Preview includes a builder that is triggered when you push to a feature branch. The builder deploys to a full stack environment, updates GitHub status checks, and posts a preview URL in your pull request.
The key benefits of Branch Preview:
- Developers can share live code on latest branch for testing before it is merged in
- Business owners can see changes in real time
- Code reviews and feedback cycles are faster
- QA and testing processes are simplified
Designed with static websites in mind, traditional CDNs don’t cut the mustard for modern, dynamic and image-rich eCommerce websites. Moovweb XDN is a full package deal, a complete infrastructure for running sub-second dynamic websites. It comes with a CDN, but also offers much more. It is your all-in-one solution to develop, deploy, preview, run, monitor, experiment on, and defend your headless frontend. And it will make sure you squeeze every millisecond out of every optimization effort. In fact, we guarantee sub-500ms median page loads for large, dynamic websites running on the XDN.