Apple's App Store went live in July 2008. Several years and more than 75 billion App Store app downloads later, apps are an important part of consumers' digital lives. And they represent unique opportunities for marketers to engage with mobile customers.
But what does the mobile app landscape look like today? Let's take a look at the stats!
Mobile App Usage
- The average American has 33 apps on their smartphone. (Our Mobile Planet)
- App usage accounts for 52% of the time spent using digital media.(comScore)
- Overall app usage peaks at 8 p.m. (Localytics)
- More than ⅓ of mobile app users visit an app 10 or more times a month, but only 17% return 3 months later. (Localytics)
- Overall app usage increased by 76% in 2014. (Flurry)
Mobile Apps & m-Commerce
- 26% of consumers' product research quests begin on branded apps, versus 33% that start on branded sites and 48% that start on search. (Think with Google)
- On average, about 30% of mobile sales for a Mobile 500 retailer comes from apps. (Internet Retailer)
- 25% of US smartphone shoppers have made a purchase via an app. (Think with Google)
- On Android and iOS, sessions in shopping apps increased by 174% in 2014, with Android sessions increasing by 220%. (Flurry)
Mobile App Downloads
- Nearly half of all app download activity in a given month is done by just 7% of U.S. smartphone owners. (Quartz)
- About ⅓ of US consumers download at least one app per month. The remaining 2/3 do not download any new apps. (comScore)
- 49% of consumers say that a lack of trust limits the amount of apps they download. (Mobile Ecosystem Forum)
- Only 50% of consumers will consider downloading an app with a 3-star rating, compared to 94% for a 4-star app and 15% for a 2-star app. (Attentive)
App Landscape & Trends
- The App Store has more than 1.4 million apps, compared to 1.43 million apps in the Google Play store. (Appple | Marketing Land)
- By April of 2015 there were 3,061 apps developed for the Apple Watch. (App Annie)
- iOS users spend 45% more the Android users on in-app purchases. (Forbes)
- Approximately one in three marketers are thinking about building an app for the Apple Watch this year, and nearly one in 10 are already making plans to do so. (eConsultancy)
Across industries, mobile apps can play a key role in your mobile users' customer journeys. To learn more about providing your mobile customers with seamless journeys across devices and across apps and the mobile web, visit our resource center.